The history of the Gramophone Company of India dates back over a century. At the beginning it was "Gramophone and Typewriter Company Limited" which was started in November, 1901 in Calcutta, having its base in London. Mr. J. Watson Hawd was the first manager. The interesting story of the HMV gramophone and records in our region begin with the arrival of Fred Gaisburg, Recording Engineer assistant of the inventor of flat disc record, Smile Berliner.He came to Calcutta in 1902 for recording with all equipment specially designed to capture the music of India. At the turn of the twentieth century the Gramophone Company of America divided into two parts. The American Company was known as Victor and UK Company, subsequently became known as HMV.
The dog's figure in the HMV trade mark was drawn by Francis Barrnad in London. It was his pet dog named Nipper. Barrnad's father and uncle were well-known artists in England, highly competent in drawing animals.
Barrnad first made this piece of work for Edison Bell and Company in London who were manufacturing 'talking machines', phonographs. But later the phonograph in the picture was replaced by Gramophones by Barrnad himself and was adopted as 'Trade Mark' by H.M.V. It was registered in London in 1900.
The prestigious label on the record with the 'dog and trumpet' logo was the vision of joy for the customers.
The big brain behind the technological aspects of the Gramophone Company of India. Jayanta Kumar Maitra, who was the Chief Technical Manager of HMV narrated the history and the progress of the institution which now has a capacity of producing 100,000 of cassettes a day having a business turnover target of Rs. 1000 million a year. He was assisted by the Executive-Recording Administration, Shyamal Mukherjee.